Featured Post

4D3N Chiang Mai trip :)

السلام عليكم Below is the itinerary for our 4D3N Muslim family trip to Chiang Mai last May 2016. We had a private local driver/tour gu...

16 September 2011

Terima Kasih Malaysia :')

السلام عليكم

Woke up in the morning, went down to have breakfast with my beautiful family. A colourful parade was happening in Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur. It inspired me to write this post.

How I wish I was there observing the whole spectacular kaleidoscopic event with the Malaysians. Yet, I prefer watching it on TV, while talking with my Mom, listening to my not-so-little Sis and my very-little-but-growing-up Bro quarelling rather than to be stuck with loads of people when there's possibilities of just seeing some other strangers' heads there. Though I was at home, the spirits of Merdeka and 1Malaysia were still firing up inside me! XD

It had been ages since I last watch Perarakan Hari Merdeka on TV. Celebrating Merdeka was different back in school. I still remembered a year when we got to eat roasted tapioca and smoked banana-as in we were back in the days before the independence, watching the chromatic fireworks blazing in the pitch black sky with the whole school, the other year performing Boria Merdeka, and every year singing the patriotic songs so loud that we can even wake up the dead, while waving proudly and vigorously our Jalur Gemilang according to the up beat tune.

This year's Independence Day was merge with the celebration of Malaysia Day. As you may know, the Malaysia Day was declared as public holiday on 2010. I admit. I never heard of Malaysia Day before I learn it in History class with Cikgu Mona. Don't be shock if I said I don't sleep in History class o_O Call me a GEEK; I don't sleep in History class. And I don't care. I actually like History class. I learn a lot about Malaysia and HOW HARD it achieved it's independence. 

A bit of history, Malaysia got it's independence on 31 August 1957 right? But, that's only Persekutuan Tanah Melayu/Federal of Malaya. Later, Sabah and Sarawak joined us (they were still under British after we were freed). Supposedly, they were to join us being an independence country on 31 August too, but it was delayed due to some avoidable problems created by the jealous people. Pfff! Nevertheless, on 16th September 1963 a country called MALAYSIA was born :) *that's were we're living now taw.

Later, a show entitled Modern Marvels was on air. It was about the Twin Towers of the East also known as the Petronas Twin Towers or easily put; KLCC. The documentary was indeed very enthralling. It made me realize that Malaysia had developed progressively along with time and the help of great leaders. It was build back in the 1990s.




The architect who designed Twin Towers was Cesar Pelli. He wanted to design a tower that represents Malaysia. At that time, most of the existing buildings had the colonial look. He asked Malaysians, what is Malaysia all about? No one knew what to answer. So he had to do research for weeks to know more about Malaysia. It saddens me when no one knew the answer back then. But, I truly believe that Malaysian now had changed. If he asked us again, we can answer it in a long trailing essay and answer him in English pon boleh laa.

In that documentary, they interviewed all the architects, engineers, builders who happens to be Caucasians/Mat Saleh. Most of them were reluctant to go to Malaysia. Most of the workers didn't even know how to spell Kuala Lumpur. Most of them said their friends who had came to Malaysia were unwilling to go back here. They said the bugs in Malaysia were bigger than their dogs at home. *I wonder what bug that bugs their mind :D

When it say TWIN, yeah there's TWO towers. The first tower was build by the Japanese while the second tower was build by the South Koreans. You heard that right, they weren't actually Best Friend Forever (BFF). There was a bitter competition between them. They were in a race of who will finished the tower first. They managed to build first tower higher than the second one. BUT, in one night, the second tower had outgrow the first tower and won the 'race'.

One more interesting fact about the Twin Towers is it has double-decker lifts. The lower deck will transport passengers to the odd numbered floors, while the upper deck to the even numbered floors. Other than that, the skybridge is also the highest 2-storey bridge in the world; located on the 41st and 42nd floor. The towers were awarded the highest tower in the world for six year, until Taipei 101 completed. Whatever it is, Petronas Twin Tower is still the highest twin tower in the world; something we can be proud of :)

Seriously, in that documentary, they really praise Tun Dr. Mahathir. Now I really, really know why people really, really look up at him. I do think that the Mat Saleh thought Tun was mad man asking them to design an such a vast land. It's about the size of city in Iowa or Minnesota, a place where one of the builder was raise up. The best part was that they called Tun the CEO of Malaysia Inc. Ain't that cool or what?!! XD

What so symbolic about the twin tower is that it gives the Malaysians courage to achieve what they had dreamt. There's no boundaries. SKY is the limit. After the devastating economic downfall and unemployment, that's all they need; CONFIDENCE.

That was MORE than 10 years ago, when probably we, the teenagers didn't quite aware of what was happening. Malaysia today is much, much more advanced than before. Even our currency value had increased. Bravo! to the Prime Minister and hard-working Malaysians (and immigrants too I supposed.hehehe).

Let's all be grateful of what our country had achieve today. We must embrace the future with a HUGE obligation to move forward toward the vision of 2020and a first class country . The clock is ticking. Do we still have time to accomplish it? Nothing is impossible. MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!


"Sesungguhnya Allah tidak akan merubah nasib sesuatu kaum itu sehingga kaum itu sendiri yang merubah keadaan hidup mereka" 
@  
"Surely Allah will not change the condition until they change their own condition"
Surah Ar-Rad, verse 11

"Whoever forgets the past,
tends to repeat it"
Enough said.
I'm so sorry if I got the facts and words wrong.
Not that I don't want to write this post in Bahasa Melayu,
I want it to be universal.
Be a great person.
Syukran jazilan.
Wassalam :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...