Featured Post

4D3N Chiang Mai trip :)

السلام عليكم Below is the itinerary for our 4D3N Muslim family trip to Chiang Mai last May 2016. We had a private local driver/tour gu...

09 November 2011

Twin pairs.

السلام عليكم

Good day to all. What a fine day, today. While I was taking a stroll in the Internet, I bumped into a page.  Her name was www.writingforward.com

We greeted each other I got to meet her twins; i.e. and e.g. They seems identical but there are huge difference.

i.e. or iillud est or il est means that is.
On the other hand,
e.g. or exempli grati means for the sake of example.

Both of the 'twins'-words are originated from Latin. Let's see some examples.

I am writing, i.e., I am arranging my thoughts into words on paper.
I am writing, that is, I am arranging my thoughts into words on paper.

We need to consume healthy foods, e.g., green vegetables, to stay healthy.
We need to consume healthy foods, for example, green vegetables, to stay healthy.

See the difference? Yes, but how do I remember the difference?

It is better if you just remember one.

Some people pronounce example as "egg-zample" right?

egg-zample. e.g.

Got it?hehehe

Next, there's no different between fewer and less right? NO, there is.

FEWER: adjective. Of a smaller number.
  • It should be used when the items CAN be counted.
    • I have fewer handbags than her.

LESS: adjective. Smaller in size, amount, degree or etc.; not so large, great, or much.
  • It is used when the amount of something CANNOT be counted.
    • I have less interest in shopping than her.


That's all for now.
Hope you folks
 learnt something today eh?
What a very longgg holiday.
Better  utilize it to the max right?
Till then,
Wassalam :)

2 comments:

  1. hey...still being an english teacher to me.. love your post! it helps me alot! post something like this lagiiiii..#desprate

    ReplyDelete
  2. :')
    hahah. aku tolong sekadar yg mampu je la eh?
    glad dat it helps :)
    OK! InsyaAllah aku post sumthing like this lagiii!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...